5 Things to Know About Car Air Conditioning Re-Gas
by Jamie Ruf
Taking good care of your vehicle’s air conditioning unit means more than simply turning it on when you get hot. That may indeed cool you off, but that doesn’t mean that it is going to do much to keep it running right and being reliable. There are some things you have to do to the air conditioner in order to keep it working in tip-top shape.
One of the things that need to be done to your vehicle’s air conditioner is to have the unit re-gassed. If you haven’t heard that before it could mean it’s time for your vehicle to have this service done. Here are 5 things to know about air conditioning re-gas:
- Your car will need a re-gas every 1.5-2 years on average. So if it has been a while, it is time to take your vehicle in for a re-gas.
- On average your vehicle will lose around 10 percent of the gas annually. As it loses the gas it will stop producing as much cold air as you would like.
- How long the re-gas process takes varies according to the type of vehicle you have. But you can count on it taking an hour or so.
- You do not usually need an appointment to have a re-gas. Simply stop by and ask that your air conditioner be checked out, letting them know it is time for a re-gas.
- Your vehicle air conditioner will work better overall if you continue to get it re-gassed as needed.
Re-gassing your car’s air conditioning unit is a normal part of taking care of the unit. It is not usually in the service plan, but if you get your air conditioner checked out regularly they should suggest the service to you. If you want your air conditioner to continue producing good cold air on a hot day it is important to make re-gas something you do at least every two years. When the next hot day rolls around and you reach for the air conditioner you will be glad you did!
At Keepin Cool, our fully qualified air conditioning technicians can give you a detailed report on the condition of your system and help you out with any necessary repairs and maintenance. We want to get your air-con working to its optimal performance, so make an appointment to see us today!